Friday, July 23, 2010

No Regrets!

Lessons from my Mom's recent home-going.
My family ( Dolly, our two children and their families including all six of our grandchildren) spent 3-4 days with my Mom between Christmas and New Years this past year where Mom presented all six of our grandchildren with homemade quilts she had made for them. Then I made the extra effort to visit her on Mother's Day this year. The first weekend of June I flew down for another visit as she was not doing really well. On Monday before she passed away on Tuesday morning, I spoke with her by phone. She was in great spirits and seemed very happy and up-beat. In short, I have no regrets that she knew that she was loved by her oldest son. I may not have done as much as others in the family and I may have done more than others. However, when I lay my head on the pillow at night, I really only have one person to please, the Lord Jesus Christ. He knows I have no regrets!
As a matter of fact, a life of "no regrets" describes Mom pretty well. Since Dad passed five years ago, she has fought being alone and recently had told the family on several occasion that she was ready to go home. At eighty-three years of age, she had no regrets.
Paul said to young Timothy, "For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing. II Timothy 4:6-8
These were some of the last words Paul ever wrote and could be titled, "No Regrets!"
How could you and I live a life with no regrets?
1. Be certain of a personal relationship with Jesus Christ as our Lord. I John 5:11-13
2. Share that relationship at every opportunity in life. Matthew 4:19
3. Understand the Scriptures to be obeyed rather than just learned. James 1:22
4. Risk everything for the cause of Christ! Acts 15:26

No comments:

Post a Comment