Friday, August 20, 2010

Bullets Unfired!

Lesson #4 from downsizing.
While emptying out our Pittsburgh house I found some interesting items that carried me back over the past forty years of marriage and ministry. None were so sobering as the envelope containing six 22 caliber bullets unfired. As a young pastor, I grew quite frustrated with the fact that many people would call me to salve their consciences, when in reality they had already made the decision that they were going to do something that they knew to violate God's Word. For instance, couples would call me after they had already scheduled their appointment with the divorce lawyer. They were less than enthusiastic about pursuing the solution to their marital problems, but wanted to be able to say that they had tried talking with the pastor.
Having voiced my frustration on this matter, I was soon faced with and opportunity that was quite unexpected. A man who attended our church called to say he'd like for me to take a ride with him. I reluctantly agreed as it was not a convenient time for me. We rode for about twenty minutes hardly saying a word between us, but I could see that he was agitated about something. Then he began to share that his daughter had been sexually violated by someone connected to one of our church softball teams. We talked through it and had many more hours of talking even after this ride. However, at one point in this ride, he placed in my hand six 22 caliber bullets and said he did not think he would need them now. Dealing with people at the level of their need can be messy, but on occasion you may save a life as well as see folk come to know the Savior.

1 comment:

  1. You jus' never know when your influence is gonna' be the Make or Break instance. I'm glad the bullets were not needed, but I'm also glad that those who hurt others will one day unnerstan' that they have lost so much more than they have taken.

    ~ Yaya

    ReplyDelete