Friday, August 6, 2010

Inside Out!

Lesson #2 from downsizing.
After hauling numerous trash bags to the street for pick up from our house in Pittsburgh and having sold all that we could at the gigantic moving sale, we had some large items that we knew we would most likely have to pay someone to move for us. Therefore we called a person who gave us a price and a time when we were to do this thing. Then we sold even more stuff. Therefore I called the man to re-negotiate the price. He got irate with me and refused to come at all. Not knowing what we would do, I walked into another part of the house where Dolly showed me an email from someone who saw our ad on Craig's List and said they were starting a non-profit to give appliances, etc. to needy families. This seemed like a perfect fit so we made contact. However, we soon discovered that they had only an SUV and a great idea but no way to make it happen. As this was sinking in immediately after worship on a Sunday, I looked out the window to see a well-dressed lady looking through our trash by the street. It turns out that she was just returning from church also. I walked out to meet her and she indicated that she had a tenant who did not even have a laundry basket. I gave her two and we continued to talk. She went home and got her truck and hauled off two large loads for her tenant and the local Goodwill Thrift Store. Mission accomplished in a way we had no idea about when the day began. How God does provide!
We invited Judy to join us for lunch between loads and as we sat on the floor (our furniture had already been picked up for the move to Syracuse), she noticed the shirt Dolly was wearing was from Iron City Church. This is the church that our son started in the North Hills of the 'Burgh about three years ago. She said that some of her tenants had attended and that she had, in fact, attended at least once. We later found out that she was a nurse and worked in recovery at a local hospital. That is when I began to put together where I had heard that voice. She was the nurse when I had a colonoscopy a few years ago. After working together for the afternoon, I commented that she now knows me inside and out! God provides and it's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment