Friday, August 27, 2010

Mom Taught me to be a Missionary!

Another lesson from Mom's recent home going.



She taught me how to be a missionary. For many years she served as the Superintendant of Vacation Bible School at the Panama Baptist Church in our community. About Thursday evening before VBS week, she would say to my Dad, brother, and me that it was time to get the pick up truck cleaned up and put the side boards on for VBS. We would clean the truck to within an inch of its life. He had a saying that we should clean so as to be able to eat off of it. Now we hauled cattle on that truck on many occasions. So scub it we did! Then we would haul twenty-five to thirty children to VBS on that truck. Now I know that she would have been locked up if that had been today. But I shared this story recently when I was privileged to speak during revival services at Macedonia Baptist church in Battleground, Cullman County, AL. A gentleman walked up and told me his name was Neal Buckelew and he had ridden that pick up truck and had accepted Jesus Christ as his personal Savior as a result of one of those VBS's. I shared this story at Mom's home going celebration to her honor and to Jesus' glory!



She may have never preached in one of America's great pulpits, but whether she was shelling peas under one of the big oak trees in the yard or pushing our blue jeans through the old ringer type washing machine, she always preached and lived Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment